Saturday, March 5, 2011

Save the Date by Jenny B. Jones

Save the Date is a quick, funny, light, beach read. I enjoyed it for those qualities. The characters were developed and while stereo-typical not cardboard cutouts. I liked that this book was set in my hometown of Charleston, SC. I did not like the virtual absence of setting description. Charleston is known for it's beautiful settings, I cannot understand why more of it did not make it into the book. 

The plot was predictable, they fall in love while pretending to be in love. It wasn't a great shock. There were some shocking revelations, however Lucy and Alex falling in love is not one of them. Over all the book was a nice read. 

In this genre, I am finding lately a lot less Christianity in "Christian Fiction". I'd like to see more from the Christian authors. More overt Christianity in the Christian characters. More church attendance. More praying over decisions. Just in general Christians acting more like Christians. This isn't a condition limited to Jenny, I just noticed it while reading her book. There were times when I felt reading this that it was not very Christian-like. Yes, it's cleaner than the typical romance or chick lit novel, but I did not find myself coming away with any revelations or Christian behaviors I wanted to emulate. 

All in all I'd recommend this book to a friend, but not as a Christian book.


I was provided a copy of this book by Booksneeze.com to write a review.  I am not expected to nor do I feel obligated to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment